Visa help


International iGEM participants may need a visa to enter the United States. Please verify if you will require a visa to attend the High School Jamboree. If a visa is necessary, we recommend that you begin the visa application process as soon as possible.

iGEM Headquarters does not have any authority over consulate offices or the visa application process. The only way to have the highest chance of successfully obtaining a visa is to apply early. If you do not yet know who will be attending the Jamboree, err on the side of caution and have all members apply for a visa.

Note: Students should apply for B-1 visas, not B-2. This is a business visa, not a travel visa. Under a travel visa you are not allowed to present at a conference.

To help with the visa application process, iGEM will provide personalized invitation letters on request. To request an invitation for you or other members of your team, please email the following information to kitwa (at) igem (dot) org for every team member requesting an invitation letter:

  1. Name
  2. Address
  3. Passport number
  4. Nationality
  5. Date of birth